Tips for Safe Pets this Christmas
Almost everybody considers their cat or dog to be a part of the family, so celebrating Christmas and including the family pet is a must. While including your pet, you must also remember that everything you do or eat may not be as safe for your pet as it is for you. With this in mind, take note of these tips and be sure to keep your pet safe around Christmas.
Chocolate is an extremely popular gift to give, it’s sweet, not too expensive, and almost everyone loves it. One thing we can be sure of is that your dog won’t love it. As excellent as chocolate is for humans, it can be quite toxic for dogs. The effect of the chocolate depends on how much your dog eats, as well as the size of the dog. Effects of the chocolate can range from vomiting and a bit of diarrhea for a couple of hours to risk of seizure and even death. An artificial sweetener known as Xylitol can also be toxic for dogs and it can cause liver injury.
Cats and dogs are normally on a very strict diet, making sudden alterations to that diet normally isn’t tolerated well. Unfamiliar food like leftover turkey or stuffing can lead to gastrointestinal problems. Bones are another thing that should be kept out of reach from pets. If a bone is ingested, it could cause obstructions to the bowel or throat.
Be sure to keep glass ornaments on higher branches of the tree. Things like hooks or broken glass could be ingested if an ornament falls off a limb . If you decide to buy a real tree, make sure you don’t add any chemicals to the water in case your pet decides to take a drink.
It is important that any chords are hidden and taped down. If your pet decides to take a bite out of one, they could get burnt or electrocuted.
Tinsel and String
Cats love to play with tinsel, but if kitty decides to eat some, it could block his or her intestinal tract. Any sort of string that is mistaken for a toy can become hazardous. Be sure to watch that your cat doesn’t get the string wrapped around the roast beef dinner.
Poinsettias, holly, and mistletoe could all upset your pet’s stomach if enough of it is consumed. Keep plants out of the reach of pets.