Top 10 Pet Poisons
Common products that we use in our everyday lives that we considered harmless to us can be deathly to our pets. Here are the products that made the top ten list:
Medications for people
This is the number one reason calls are made to the animal poison control center. Over the counter meds such as ADHD medications, ibuprofen, and acetaminophen are left out in the open for your pet to grab. Make sure you keep them some place safe and out of reach from your pet.
The most common mistake people make is when they use flea and tick products; they apply the wrong treatment to the wrong species. This is a result of not reading the label carefully. Make sure
that when you buy over-the-counter pet medication that you read the label completely and carefully before buying it.
Baits that are used to capture rats and mice also attract pets. This can make your pet very ill. There are different types of rodenticides that can cause your pet to suffer seizures, internal bleeding, and kidney failures.
Grapes, raisins, garlic, and other foods can cause your dog to become very ill. Grapes and raisins can cause kidney failure and garlic can cause anemia if ingested by your pet. Make sure to keep these out of harm's way from your pet.
Another food that is considered harmless to humans is a deathbed to pets. Chocolate contains meythlxanthines which acts as a stimulant to animals. Meythlxanthines can cause agitation, diarrhea, muscle tremors, seizures, and death.
Even though these medicines are intended for our pets, they are flavored and may be ingested more than needed if the pets find it tasty. Also, pet owners may give more than recommended due to lack of knowledge about the medication.
Plants may seem harmless but if they are ingested by our pets they can cause a lot of damage. If sago palms are ingested by dogs, it can cause liver failure and also if lilies can cause kidney failure in cats if ingested. Keep household plants away from your pet!
As common sense we keep household products away from our children; but not so much with pets. If household toxins like detergent, bleach, and disinfectants are taken by pets it will cause burns to the mouth and stomach. Ensure that you keep these products locked up safely.
Common outdoor toxins found are antifreeze, fertilizer, and ice melts. Make sure you keep them locked up somewhere safe, such as a shed or keep them stocked on higher shelves.
Herbicides are chemicals used on lawns to control weeds. When applying herbicides to the lawn, keep your dog inside and take anything else that may put in their mouth, such as chew toys and food bowls. Keep your pet away from that area until it's dry and always follow label directions.
If you feel that your pet has ingested something toxic contact your local
veterinarian or call Animal Poison Control Center's.