November 13, 2012

15 Household Items Poisonous to Dogs and Cats

1.         Human Medications

When a pet ingests a human medication, it could cause vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, seizures and even death.

Be careful not to drop any pills on the floor without picking them up. Store them in their bottles in a secure place.

Never give a pet a human pill as treatment for an injury or illness.

2.         Chocolate

Any type of chocolate could cause a dog to suffer from hyperactivity, seizures, dehydration, and excessive urination. It could also kill.

Keep chocolate away from dogs and clean up any crumbs.

3.         Grapes and Raisins

Grapes in their fresh form or their dried form can cause renal failure in your dog and should never be fed to them.

4.         Avocados

Avocados can cause vomiting and diarrhea in pets. Remember to keep guacamole away from them, too.

5.         Lilies

Cats are known to snack on flowers and greenery. It’s important to keep lilies out of your home if you have a cat.

Cats that eat lilies are known to have their kidneys fail.

6.         Weed Killers

Weed killers contain harmful toxins that can harm your pets if ingested or inhaled.

The damage could be seen right away or may not appear for years. Keep your pets away from outdoor treatments for several hours after application.

7.         Pesticides

Pesticides can cause health problems in your pets if inhaled or ingested. Be sure to use non-toxic pest sprays in your house.

8.         Rodenticides

If a product can kill vermin, it could also harm your pets.

The dosages may not be enough to kill your pet but many mouse baits can cause internal bleeding in your pets. That can kill.

9.         Cleaning Products

Eating off a freshly cleaned floor, licking up spilled detergent or just inhaling certain cleaning products can cause immediate and long term damage to your pet.

Choose all natural and/or non-toxic products to clean your home.

10.       Glow Jewelry

The chemicals within glow in the dark jewelry typically aren’t lethal, but can cause panic when ingested by animals due to the strong taste.

Prevent this from happening by keeping these objects out of your pet’s reach and rinse their mouths out with water if it does happen.

11.       Paint

It’s not always clear what exactly is in paint, but it can be toxic to humans and pets alike.

Be sure to skip paints with antimicrobial or mildew fighting labels. These can cause thyroid damage. Store them away from your pets since their fumes can escape the can even when tightly covered.

12.       Flea and Tick Treatments

Just like insecticides for your lawn, flea and tick treatments can also damage pets if used incorrectly.

Make sure your cat doesn’t have access to your dog’s products and vice-versa since this can result in poisoning. Also be sure to use the right product designated for your pet’s size.

Specifically, K9 Advantix can kill a cat. Even if a cat just grooms a freshly treated dog.

13.       Gum

Chewing gum contains an ingredient called xylitol which can cause a dangerous dip in your dog’s blood sugar if ingested. Keep it away from your pets.

14.       Diet Soda

Xylitol is the sweetener used in diet sodas and can cause seizures and liver failure in your dog. Clean up any spilled soda before your dog can lick it up.

15.       Toothpaste

Toothpaste also contains xylitol which is known to reduce cavities in humans but it can make your dog seriously sick. Keep your toothpaste tube in a cabinet that your dog can’t access.

June 2, 2010

Antifreeze Poisoning in Dogs

Filed under: pet poisoning,poisoned pet,what happens if my pet was poisoned — Dr. Amber Reed @ 4:48 pm

poisoned dogAntifreeze poisoning is a very serious threat to your dog’s health.  In fact, every year thousands of dogs die because of accidental ingestion of antifreeze and since it requires very little antifreeze to kill your dog you need to take the necessary precautions to protect your dog from antifreeze poisoning.  Obviously, prevention is the best way to keep your dog safe.  Store antifreeze on a high shelf, well out of the reach of pets, and where it cannot easily be knocked over.  In addition, be sure to clean up any antifreeze spills immediately.

There are a number of clear signs that your dog has ingested antifreeze.  In the early stages of antifreeze poisoning your dog will likely begin staggering and vomiting.  He will probably be confused or disoriented and lethargic and may even begin drinking or urinating excessively.  These symptoms will first be noticed about 30 minutes after ingestion and many owners whose dogs have consumed antifreeze describe these early symptoms as very similar to drunkenness.  Over the next several hours these symptoms will persist and eventually you will notice diarrhea, convulsions, and unconsciousness.  These second stage symptoms will appear after a period of apparent recovery but over the next day or so the toxins will cause permanent damage to the liver and kidneys as the antifreeze is metabolized.

If you suspect your dog has accidentally ingested antifreeze, visit the veterinarian immediately.  If you can collect some of your dog’s vomit, take it to the vet for analysis.  While inducing vomiting or activated charcoal will remove poison from your dog’s system, it is not a cure for antifreeze poisoning in dogs.  As such, it is much more important to take preventative actions.  Propylene-glycol based antifreeze is a much safer alternative to ethylene glycol forms.  Also, don’t let your dog roam the neighborhood without supervision as he will be more likely to suffer antifreeze poisoning.

March 17, 2010

What Should I do if I think my Pet has been Poisoned?

Filed under: pet poisoning,poisoned pet,what happens if my pet was poisoned — Dr. Amber Reed @ 1:30 pm

pet poisoningPet poisoning is a very serious issue and one that contributes to thousands of dog and cat deaths every year. The fact is, many of the products we use around the house, from cleaners to car maintenance, can be very dangerous for pets and need to be safely stored to prevent poisoning. Still, from time to time, pets may eat, inhale, or absorb poisons through their skin. While some of these poisons take effect immediately, and are recognized by various symptoms, some poisons may take days or even weeks to appear making them very difficult to diagnose.

Your first step when you suspect your dog or cat may have been poisoned is to call the veterinarian. Preventing further harm is your first priority and your vet is the most qualified person to diagnose poisoning and will suggest the appropriate solution. Because different poisons are associated with different side effects, you will most likely not be able to diagnose the problem yourself. Even if you know the exact name of the poison and how it was consumed by your cat (ingested, inhaled, or absorbed) you may not know what to do to treat it.

feline cancerTypically, your veterinarian will want to get as much information from you as possible. He or she will ask about the name of the poison, how your pet consumed it, how much of the poison was consumed, when it was consumed, the weight of your pet, and the symptoms your pet is showing.

Keep in mind, that different options for different poisons make it dangerous for you to try to self-treat your pet. Some toxins, for example, should be vomited up while for others this can be a life threatening solution. Therefore, if you suspect poisoning in your dog or cat, visit your veterinarian or emergency clinic immediately.

Copyright © 2013 CritterCures. All rights reserved.

About us | How To Order | Privacy Notice | Safety
Secure Shopping | 30 Day Money Back Guarantee
FAQ | Shipping & Returns | New products | Blog
Newsletters | Testimonials | Sitemap | Contact us
Disclaimer: CritterCures is an educational resource, and all information herein is strictly for educational purposes. It is not intended to diagnose, treat, prevent, or cure diseases, nor is it meant to replace the (prescribed) treatment or recommendations of your veterinarian or healthcare provider. Always inform your veterinarian or healthcare provider of any products that your pet are taking, including herbal remedies and supplements.