June 13, 2011

Plants Your Pet Should Avoid

Filed under: pet health — Tags: , , , , — Dr. Amber Reed @ 1:26 pm

Plants Dogs Should not EatWhenever a dog gets a chance, they will go exploring. Their curiosity is what makes them stop at every fire hydrant, go digging in the dirt, and lick whatever looks good. This curiosity is fun for them but it’s time to check out what they are putting their noses into. Dogs will always go up to different plants to take a sniff especially when outside. Some of these plants might look pretty on the outside but can cause serious damage to pets. Here are just a few so you can keep your dogs health in perfect condition.


Lilies can cause a lot of damage to a dog’s health in small amounts. If ingested, lilies can cause damage to the kidneys. Also, a small amount can cause a dog to vomit, suffer nausea, arrhythmia, and a slowed heart beat.


These pretty flowers aren’t so pretty on the inside. The bulb part of the flower contains toxins that can cause depression in dogs of the central nervous system. It can also cause intense gas, irritation, loss of appetite, excessive drooling and cardiac abnormalities.


Not only dogs are affected by this plant but also grazing animals such as horses. If ingested symptoms of diarrhea, excessive salivation, depression, vomiting, weakness, and coma in dogs. These symptoms can result in death from cardiovascular collapse.

Sogo Palms

T his plant doesn’t even need to be ingested by your dog to have harmful effects on them. If this plant is licked, seeds are swallowed which causes symptoms of vomiting, liver failure, seizures, and may lead to death. Keep your dog as far away from this plant as you can since the whole thing is poisonous.


Pothos are popular household plants that cause serious damage to a dog. If it is chewed by a dog or ingested, it can cause mechanical irritation and swelling of the tissue in the mouth and other parts of the gastrointestinal tract.


These colorful and bright flowers bring a lot of attention to themselves when found in areas of the woods or in a nearby park. Grayantoxins are found in Azaleas which cause vomiting. Ingestion of this plant results in hyper salivation, weakness, and can end in coma or death.

About Dr. Amber Reed

has written 281 posts in this blog.

No Comments »

No comments yet.

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URL

Leave a comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Copyright © 2013 CritterCures. All rights reserved.

About us | How To Order | Privacy Notice | Safety
Secure Shopping | 30 Day Money Back Guarantee
FAQ | Shipping & Returns | New products | Blog
Newsletters | Testimonials | Sitemap | Contact us
Disclaimer: CritterCures is an educational resource, and all information herein is strictly for educational purposes. It is not intended to diagnose, treat, prevent, or cure diseases, nor is it meant to replace the (prescribed) treatment or recommendations of your veterinarian or healthcare provider. Always inform your veterinarian or healthcare provider of any products that your pet are taking, including herbal remedies and supplements.