Pets are susceptible to serious side effects when they accidentally ingest human medications. First of all, pets are smaller, so prescription doses are generally much smaller as well; but in addition, pets metabolize medications differently which also puts them at risk from dangerous side effects. As such, it is important to take the necessary precautions to protect your pets from human medications.
The first thing you should do to protect your pets from human medications is to find a safe and secure place to store your prescriptions and over the counter medications. From Tylenol and Advil to blood pressure and cholesterol medications, there are a number of dangerous side effects from medications that can even put your pet’s life in jeopardy.
- Always keep medications out of your pet’s reach and never give your pet any medications unless on the advice of a veterinarian.
- Never leave loose pills lying around and always keep them stored in their original, child proof bottles.
- If you use weekly pill containers, be sure to store it in a secure cabinet where your pet cannot gain access and remember that some pets may view the plastic container as a chew toy.
In addition, your pet may have prescriptions of its own so it’s important that you keep your pet’s medication and human medication separate. Veterinarians have countless stories of pet owners who have accidentally given their own medications to their pets.
While storing medications safely is quite obvious, accidental pet overdoses tend to happen in situations that we never consider.
- If you keep medications in your purse or bag, keep them out of reach of pets.
- Medications that are safe for children are not necessarily safe for pets.
- Over the counter and herbal supplements can also be dangerous for pets.
- Contact your veterinarian or pet poison control immediately if you suspect your pet has ingested human medication. Be prepared with the type of medication and suspected amount that your pet has ingested.