From the luxurious Persian to the ubiquitous tabby, there are a plethora of cat breeds that make a great addition to your family. But what are the most popular breeds in North America? If you’ve ever asked yourself this question, you’re about to get the answer. Here, I will count down the top 5 cat breeds.
5. The Abyssinian Large ears and a small face give this cat a sphinx-like appearance. The Abyssinian is an active and playful cat that thrives on human attention. They are often chosen for pets because they are affectionate but when left alone for a long time they can become lonely. Abyssinians get along well with other breeds of cat and get along especially well when they have a companion.
4. The Siamese “We are Siamese if you please…we are Siamese if you don’t please.” Perhaps first immortalized in the famous Disney movie “Lady and the Tramp,” Siamese cats have become increasingly popular in the last couple of decades. They are calm and intelligent cats who enjoy human interaction and can be very demanding for affection. In addition, Siamese cats love climbing and may get stuck in trees.
3. The Exotic Exotic shorthair cats are related to Persians and because of their facial features they often suffer from respiratory problems. Still, these playful cats love to have fun and can be very sweet and caring with humans.
2. The Maine Coon The Maine Coon is a very large cat that is getting more and more popular. Sometimes likened to dogs, Maine Coons can be highly demanding for attention and are often dependent on humans. Because they take between 3 and 5 years to mature mentally, many people think they are lacking in intelligence.
1. The Persian The Persian is a luxurious cat with beautiful long hair. Because they have a calm loving temperament, they make great pets. They are quiet and sometimes skittish but they get along well with other cats.