May 2, 2010

Plants that Are Poisonous for Cats and Dogs

Filed under: pet poisoning,poisoned pet — Dr. Amber Reed @ 11:43 pm

poisonous plants for petsHome owners are often surprised to learn that many of the plants that decorate their homes are toxic for their cats and dogs.  Indeed, when ingested by dogs and cats some of the most poisonous plants can even cause death.  This article will introduce some of the most poisonous plants to dogs and cats as well as the symptoms of accidental ingestion.  If you notice any of these symptoms you need to visit your veterinarian right away.  It is also recommended that you keep a list of the plants you have in your home so that you can easily identify substances that your dog or cat may have eaten.

Cycad Palm Plants

With their large green leaves and tropical beauty, cycad palm plants are a favorite among homeowners in warmer climates but Cycad palms like the sago palm, false sago palm, and the queen sago palm are toxic to cats and dogs.  Cycad palms contain cycasin and while the entire plant is poisonous the seeds are even more dangerous.  Some of the symptoms associated with cycasin poisoning are:

  • Vomiting
  • Excessive thirst and water consumption
  • Increased salivation
  • Reduced appetite
  • Diarrhea
  • Constipation
  • Yellow coloration of the skin and gums
  • Seizures and other neurological problems

Oleander

Also known as the laurel rosa, the laurel blanco, or the laurel colorado, the Oleander plant is highly toxic to both cats and dogs.  Containing a cardiac glycoside poison, oleander toxicity causes gastrointestinal irritation followed by vomiting, diarrhea, increased salivation, and loss of appetite.  feline diarrheaDogs and cats often ingest the dried leaves of the oleander plant and may also suffer from irregular heart rhythms.

Lilies

Despite their beauty, lilies are poisonous for cats. Easter lilies, tiger lilies, stargazer lilies, and some species of day lilies are toxic to cats as they cause kidney damage. Some of the symptoms of lily toxicity may appear within a few hours of ingestion and include:

  • Vomiting
  • Reduced appetite
  • Sluggishness

About Dr. Amber Reed

has written 281 posts in this blog.

No Comments »

No comments yet.

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URL

Leave a comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Copyright © 2013 CritterCures. All rights reserved.

About us | How To Order | Privacy Notice | Safety
Secure Shopping | 30 Day Money Back Guarantee
FAQ | Shipping & Returns | New products | Blog
Newsletters | Testimonials | Sitemap | Contact us
Disclaimer: CritterCures is an educational resource, and all information herein is strictly for educational purposes. It is not intended to diagnose, treat, prevent, or cure diseases, nor is it meant to replace the (prescribed) treatment or recommendations of your veterinarian or healthcare provider. Always inform your veterinarian or healthcare provider of any products that your pet are taking, including herbal remedies and supplements.