Pet poisoning is a very serious issue and one that contributes to thousands of dog and cat deaths every year. The fact is, many of the products we use around the house, from cleaners to car maintenance, can be very dangerous for pets and need to be safely stored to prevent poisoning. Still, from time to time, pets may eat, inhale, or absorb poisons through their skin. While some of these poisons take effect immediately, and are recognized by various symptoms, some poisons may take days or even weeks to appear making them very difficult to diagnose.
Your first step when you suspect your dog or cat may have been poisoned is to call the veterinarian. Preventing further harm is your first priority and your vet is the most qualified person to diagnose poisoning and will suggest the appropriate solution. Because different poisons are associated with different side effects, you will most likely not be able to diagnose the problem yourself. Even if you know the exact name of the poison and how it was consumed by your cat (ingested, inhaled, or absorbed) you may not know what to do to treat it.
Typically, your veterinarian will want to get as much information from you as possible. He or she will ask about the name of the poison, how your pet consumed it, how much of the poison was consumed, when it was consumed, the weight of your pet, and the symptoms your pet is showing.
Keep in mind, that different options for different poisons make it dangerous for you to try to self-treat your pet. Some toxins, for example, should be vomited up while for others this can be a life threatening solution. Therefore, if you suspect poisoning in your dog or cat, visit your veterinarian or emergency clinic immediately.