March 1, 2010

10 Foods you should not feed your cat

We love our cats and sometimes we want to reward them with a special treats. In small doses, table scraps are usually ok for your cats, as long as they constitute less than 10 per cent of their diet. But generally speaking, your cat’s dietary needs can’t be met by human food and there are even some foods that are dangerous for your cat’s health.

  • Alcohol

As in humans, cat alcohol consumption can cause intoxication. However, cats can tolerate much smaller doses of alcohol meaning that they get more intoxicated and sometimes suffer from coma or even death.

 

  • Chocolate/Caffeine

Chocolate per se isn’t exactly unhealthy for your cat but because most chocolate contains caffeine which can have detrimental effects on your cat’s heart and nervous system.

 

  • Grapes and Raisins

Grapes and raisins seem like they’d be a harmless snack but they contain an unknown toxin that can damage your cat’s kidneys.

 

  • Canned Tuna

Cats love canned tuna and sometimes you can get some cat food that contains tuna. The problem with canned tuna for humans is that it is dangerously lacking in the vitamins and nutrients cats need in their diet. As a result, feeding only tuna to your cat can lead to malnutrition.

 

  • Dairy products

Cats cannot process cow milk because they usually don’t have enough lactase, the enzyme used for breaking down cow milk sugars.

 

  • Yeast dough

Yeast dough expands and can produce gas. As with humans, gas in cats can be painful but unlike humans may even rupture the stomach or intestines.

 

  • Dog food

Dog food is for dogs and if eaten repeatedly your cat may develop malnutrition or heart disease.

 

  • Onions and garlic

Any form of these foods is toxic to cats because of the presence of sulfoxides and disulfides. These substances can cause anemia.

 

  • Raw eggs

Raw eggs can prevent the absorption of vitamin B in cats which leads to skin, hair, and coat problems.

 

  • Mushrooms

Finally, mushrooms contain toxins that can damage multiple body symptoms. After eating mushrooms a cat may go into shock and even die.

 

« Newer Posts
Copyright © 2013 CritterCures. All rights reserved.

About us | How To Order | Privacy Notice | Safety
Secure Shopping | 30 Day Money Back Guarantee
FAQ | Shipping & Returns | New products | Blog
Newsletters | Testimonials | Sitemap | Contact us
Disclaimer: CritterCures is an educational resource, and all information herein is strictly for educational purposes. It is not intended to diagnose, treat, prevent, or cure diseases, nor is it meant to replace the (prescribed) treatment or recommendations of your veterinarian or healthcare provider. Always inform your veterinarian or healthcare provider of any products that your pet are taking, including herbal remedies and supplements.