February 10, 2010

There is a Lump on My Dog’s Neck

Filed under: dog lumps,lump on dogs,neck lumps — Dr. Amber Reed @ 9:12 am

If you’ve found a lump on your dog’s neck, you’re likely concerned and justifiably so. Lumps can appear for a wide variety of reasons, not the least scary of which is cancer. However, the frequency with which lumps turn out to be cancer is statistically very low, much lower than you would expect. So, chances are that a lump on your dog’s neck is not cancer but there could be some reason for concern.

Unfortunately, there’s no possible way to diagnose a lump on your dog’s neck without visiting your veterinarian. Indeed, different kinds of lumps will be associated with different symptoms. Some lumps, when associated with infection, for example, will cause a substantial amount of pain for your dog and may continue to grow larger if left untreated. And while infection is probably the most common cause for a lump in your dog’s neck, it is not the only cause.

Lymphoma, a type of cancer, can also lead to lumps. Surprisingly, in the early stages there may be few other symptoms that your dog is suffering from a serious health problem. Some lymphomas will cause pain but many will not which is why it is important to visit a veterinarian. Lymphomas left untreated will certainly result in your dog’s death.

Sometimes lumps may even be a benign mass. These lumps may appear and disappear for no obvious reason and will probably cause little or no discomfort for your dog. Still, you cannot accurately diagnose a lump on your dog’s neck just by looking at it. You should take your dog to the vet to have the problem properly diagnosed and treated to ensure the long term health and happiness of your pet. If it turns out to be a harmless condition, you’ll still feel better knowing for sure.

About Dr. Amber Reed

has written 281 posts in this blog.

8 Comments »

1. why do dog get bumps or lumps on there neck?!?

and my dogs lump is bloody too!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :O

Comment by samuel stoner — March 20, 2012 @ 1:38 pm

2. ya!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by samuel — March 20, 2012 @ 1:38 pm

3. why is there lump on my dogs neck?!?

and its blooy too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by samuel — March 20, 2012 @ 1:39 pm

4. Good that this exists as v. Worried bout stafford hes my best friend

Comment by m wardrope — April 19, 2012 @ 1:36 pm

5. Hello Good afternoon,
    Recently I’ve found a bump of the size of a tennis ball on my dogs next he’s only 7months and hes very healthy. I found this bump about 2-3 days ago but my question here is that if he was bitten by another dog whom has not gotten his shots and may have rabies is it possible for that to be the cause of my dogs lump if he was bitten by him?

Comment by osiry joya — June 12, 2012 @ 12:19 am

6. I have a1 year old border collie /lab ,three days ago noticed an egg size lump on her neck where our jugluar is in three days it had grown to baseball size ,my vet is removing while ,I am posting ,this was infected , I love my dog and wouldn want to practice my vet skills at her expence ,she wrestle’s with my dads dog ,must have caught a tooth and an infection ,she isnt purebred but she is family .

Comment by James simpson — July 3, 2012 @ 2:02 am

7. What happened afterwards did they remove the tooth did lump go away.

Comment by Aexis — September 10, 2012 @ 12:43 am

8. My dog got a lump under his neck and passed away within 12 hours!! He was very health… I miss him so much.. I was out of town :(

Comment by Connie — September 13, 2012 @ 5:39 am

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URL

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Copyright © 2013 CritterCures. All rights reserved.

About us | How To Order | Privacy Notice | Safety
Secure Shopping | 30 Day Money Back Guarantee
FAQ | Shipping & Returns | New products | Blog
Newsletters | Testimonials | Sitemap | Contact us
Disclaimer: CritterCures is an educational resource, and all information herein is strictly for educational purposes. It is not intended to diagnose, treat, prevent, or cure diseases, nor is it meant to replace the (prescribed) treatment or recommendations of your veterinarian or healthcare provider. Always inform your veterinarian or healthcare provider of any products that your pet are taking, including herbal remedies and supplements.