Let’s be honest, a dog will eat pretty much anything. And while in most cases food that is edible for humans is also edible for your dog, this is not always true. In fact, some foods that we consume can actually kill your dog. Most pet owners have heard that chocolate can be very bad for dogs but might be surprised to learn that there is a long list of foods that are unhealthy for your dog. Some of these foods may cause relatively mild symptoms like an upset stomach, diarrhea, or vomiting, but others can lead to very severe complications and even death. The following foods should never be fed to dogs and you should always check that a food is safe for your dog before feeding it to him.
- Cat Food. One surprising food that you should not give your dog is cat food. Cat food is higher in proteins and fats and can be unhealthy for your dog.
- Drugs. Not surprisingly, you should never give your dog any kind of drug, including tobacco, marijuana or caffeine.
- Chocolate. The main reason you should never give your dogs chocolate is because of the presence of caffeine which can be toxic to dogs especially for their heart and nervous systems.
- Grapes, raisins, citrus fruits and certain vegetables like onions, potatoes, mushrooms, onions, and garlic. These foods should also not be given to dogs because mushrooms can be highly toxic and cause death while potatoes, rhubarb, and onions are not lethal but can damage body systems.
- Raw fish and hops. Raw fish and hops can also be deadly for dogs because it can cause thiamine deficiency where you will notice a loss of appetite, seizures, and even death.
- Alcohol beverages. Alcohol can cause intoxication, coma, and death.
- Baby Food. There may be onion powder in baby food which is toxic for dogs. If fed in large amounts, your dog may develop nutritional deficiencies.
- Bones from meat, poultry and fish. The bones from meat, poultry and fish can cause laceration or obstruction in your dogs digestive system.
- Human vitamin supplements that has iron. The iron in the supplements are toxic to the liver and kidney and can also damage the digestive system lining.
- Raw Eggs. Raw eggs contain an enzyme called avidin. This enzyme decreases the absorption of a B vitamin called biotin which can lead to problems with the skin and hair coat. There will also be a risk of Salmonella.
As you can see, different foods have a wide arrange of effects on your dog. For this reason, it is advisable never to feed your dog anything but specifically formulated dog food. If you want to reward your dog with a treat, make sure to do your research first and only feed him foods that you are totally confident are safe.